Jackpot (NV)! I made it to 50!

Note to reader: This is a post from Bill - I believe it's the second one since I started the blog many moons ago!
---------------------

I woke up around 3 a.m. this morning, as I do almost every morning these days, and thought about turning fifty today and what the future will bring. If you'd asked me ten years ago about turning fifty, chances are 50/50 (no pun intended) that I would have answered, "I doubt I'll make it to fifty." Why I thought that then is unclear to me, but it turns out it was more accurate than I would have liked. Several years of battling cancer, recovering from that battle, both physically and emotionally, and trying to help my family stay healthy definitely took its toll. So, to my forties, I say, "don't let the door hit you on the ass on the way out; but if it does, good riddance!"

Despite the challenges of the last decade, I have learned so much about being human; perhaps more than I wanted. Nothing like having everyone in the hospital come look at your giant testicle, including, as far as I could tell, the cleaning and maintenance staff. "Hey John, put that broom down, you've got to see this." I also was blessed to see the amazing heroics of my wife bring our two children into this world while very literally taking her body and spirit to breaking point. We both still are recovering from those experiences on a daily basis.

Back to this morning, as I lay in bed pondering the future, I also thought way back to being a kid.  I sometimes like to think what my younger self, say 10-15 years old, would have thought if I could have looked forward to a specific moment in time. This morning I was thinking about my beautiful wife and family and the resort we are staying in for a few days as we make our way to Yellowstone. My ten year old self would have been psyched about staying at such a cool hotel; which is certainly nicer than anything I ever stayed in as a kid but pales in comparison to where we have been as adults. My fifteen year old self would have wondered how I scored such a hot babe as a wife.
Yay! 50th Birthday Carpet Party!

So 50, or fifty, or "fiddy", as Michele just inexplicably said to me, I welcome you and expect great things from the decade to come.  If nothing else, I apparently get some cool discounts.








Thank you, Michele, for standing by me. I love you.

P.S. As I write this I am actually 49, so I still might not make it to 50. Cheers!

Popular posts from this blog

Day 15 (and 16 and 17) - Park City, Utah

Mackay is Teething!

She sits!