Finding Childcare

Finding someone you trust to take care of your child when you go back to work is, in a word, grueling. You worry about the petri dish of daycare. You read the articles about nanny cams and the horrible acts they record. You try to figure out a work schedule that meet the needs of your family. And honestly, even though you may be working 'part time', you are probably still a full time mom, cook, and everything else that comes with the territory.

When you're ready (or partially ready) to return to work, how do you find the right person to care for your little one?

Here are a few suggestions that worked for me:
1) Place an ad in your local paper (I live in a small town, so our local paper is a pretty good resource). I've heard from other moms that Craigslist is a good second option.

2) Is there a mothers' club in your area? Mom's club websites and lists are great resources for posting ads or asking for help.

3) When you are ready to interview, Babycenter (http://www.babycenter.com/0_nanny-interview-sheet_1450905.bc) has a comprehensive interview sheet if you are considering a nanny or part time babysitter. I found the full sheet to be overkill, but I could easily tailor to meet my requirements.

4) Interview as many people as you can. I interviewed at least 10 candidates, including interviewing several local day care centers. I found at least two candidates that I liked (along with several loons.) On the loon front: Someone responded to my ad over the phone, and told me within 2 minutes that there may be days that she couldn't babysit because she had serious health issues (including a recent double lung transplant. OK...is that even possible?) that would require frequent medical care. Frankly, I appreciate the honesty, but this person was not at the top of my list for childcare. However, the comparison allowed me to realize the right person when she walked in the door.

5) Trust your instincts. Most of the moms I have talked to knew the right person right away. If you have any doubts, bring people back for a second interview with your partner or another trusted friend.

Good luck!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 15 (and 16 and 17) - Park City, Utah

Mackay is Teething!

She sits!